The capstone of his trilogy on Missouri fiddling, Dr. Howard Marshall has written a new book, “Keep It Old-Time: Fiddle Music in Missouri From the Folk Revival to the Present,” which is published by the University of Missouri Press (Columbia, Missouri, 2023). This volume carries on from the end of “Fiddler’s Dream,” picking up with the Folk Revival in the 1960s, and continuing through to the present time. It features in-depth chapters about many of the organizations (like the Missouri State Old-Time Fiddlers Association) and personalities (like the Stoneking Family and Kelly Jones) that have helped keep Missouri fiddling vibrant from then until now.
Included with the book is a CD with 36 tunes featuring classic recordings from Henry Well, Johnny Bruce, and Cleo Persinger to more recent recordings from Travis Inman, Charlie Walden, and Dale Pauley to brand-new recordings from Joe Fedrizzi, Thomas Coriell, Levi Roden, Mike Hartgrove, and Howard Marshall. Also featured on the CD are Geoff Seitz, Tom Verdot, Spencer Galloway, Taylor McBaine, Charlie Cook, Pete McMahan, Dick Logan, Gene Wells, John Griffin, Jr. Marriott, Kelly Jones, Amber Gaddy, John Williams, Richard Shewmaker, Trustin Baker, Roger Netherton, Lee Stoneking, Fred Stoneking, Alita Stoneking, Gerald Jones, Hannah Farnum, Kathy Summers, Liesl Schoenberger, David Scrivner, and Matt Wyatt.
Book Release Events
- Saturday, April 22, Unbound Book Festival, Columbia, Missouri
- Sunday, May 21, 2 p.m., Missouri River Regional Library, Jefferson City, Missouri.
Howard Marshall, with Heinrich Leonhard, Kathy Gordon, special guests John Williams, Rachel Krause, Robert Mackey.
- Thursday, October 5, 7 p.m., Woodneath Library Center (Mid-Continent Library System), 8900 NE Flintlock Rd. North Kansas City, Missouri
- Friday, October 6, 7 p.m., Kansas City Area Bluegrass Music Club, Blue Ridge Boulevard Methodist Church fellowship hall, 5055 Blue Ridge Blvd. Kansas City, Missouri
Howard Marshall, with Jim McGreevy, Larry Ellis, Art Logan, and others.
- Thursday, October 19, 7 p.m., Missouri State Archives, 600 W. Main, Jefferson City, Missouri
Howard Marshall, with David Cavins, Amber Gaddy, Jim Ruth, Kathy Gordon, perhaps with a special guest.
- Saturday, November 18, 7 p.m., The Focal Point, St. Louis, Missouri
Howard Marshall, with Geoff Seitz, Dave Landreth, Jim Nelson, and special guests.
- Thursday, November 30, 7 p.m., State Historical Society of Missouri, Columbia
Howard Marshall with David Cavins, Amber Gaddy, Jim Ruth, with possible guest musicians.
You can pick up your copy locally at Downtown Book & Toy in Jefferson City, or ask your favorite bookshop to carry it. You can also buy it directly from the University of Missouri Press site (for a limited time, save 40% off the regular price using promotional code FIDDLE25).